Wednesday, January 09, 2008

BS Saga

Unless you have been hiding up in a mountain somewhere, without access to electricity or telephone or newspaper or even message relaying birds, you must be aware of the deteriorating saga of Brittany Spears. I have found the whole thing so sad to watch and actually i no longer read the articles - i don't understand this obsession with her and this lack of respect for her as a human. She is having problems and instead of respecting that, the media latches onto her for more photos and articles and whatnot. They seem to be enjoying her breakdown. I think it is disgusting.
I read the following article on BBC about this so called Brittany effect which I thought was interesting. More so, the psychology of why the media has become such blood hounds.

"Gawping at mental breakdown is not so new. In the 18th Century, for a penny, you could peer into the cells at Bedlam and enjoy the inmates' antics."
"
We live in what seem to be far less hierarchical times - we don't have this hang-up of 'knowing our place' anymore. Now everyone thinks they can be famous and wants to find the flaws in those who already are," says Phillip Hodson, a fellow of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy."

2 comments:

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

I thought we were focusing on her sister... hmm guess I have to catch up on the gossips

styx said...

I was in the Amazons and Colombia, and I didn't hear anything about her. :-P