Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Confusion over what is real

This is a funny blog about a commentary from NPR about how the Wii offers "a false sense of what it's like to compete in the world" from NPR.

From the blog: National Public Radio posted a commentary from Kelly McBride, a concerned parent, regarding her children's frequent use of the Wii. Rather than relishing the fact that the new toy has them off the couch and swinging their arms, Kelly worries that her children are equating the game version of the sports with the real-life counterpart; that is to say, the children are gaining "a false sense of what it's like to compete in the world."

It is actually quite hilarious if you think about it - violent games are too violent and non-violent games are too... wussy?!!
But the funniest part were some of the commentaries from this Digg user:

[mazerrackham]I'll never forget the bitter disappointment of losing my first war after trying to take my chess skills to the streets. The other guy's horses ran in all crazy patterns around my helpless pawns, slashing at their throats. And then when I tried to switch places with my castle to hide it wouldn't even move.
Now look at me -- dead-end job, low self-esteem...All thanks to my proficiency at chess.

Anyway, the best part of this post was this guy's comment. Very funny indeed!

1 comment:

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

YAY I JUST JOINED THE DIGG SITE !!!!!

Try to find where my first post of all time is and digg it :P