Monday, February 18, 2008

N0 C0untry

Last night I finally watched the much anticipated N0 C0untry 4 0ld Men and I am sorry to say it did not live up to its hype. Yes the acting was great, yes the scenes and the way the movie was made were great, but I was left wanting at the end of the movie. What was the message, the moral of this story? In fact what was the point of it all? Did I miss something?

Update:
I went and read up on IMDB and wiki and it seems there were depths I wasn't aware of. Seems there is something about futility, fate and the element of chance. It doesn't matter what you plan.
One thing which I realized after I researched the movie was how anti-hollywood this movie is.
Quoting from someone on IMDB: (spoiler alert!!)
"The way it inverts the action/thriller. The final act has been so maligned by so many people because it does the exact thing the Coens were aware that it would do. It destroys the adjusted perceptions of the audience and forces them to confront things that are not there. We are denied the "satisfaction" of watching Moss die, Chigurh is denied the satisfaction of killing Moss, Bell is denied the satisfaction of restoring order, Carla Jean does not get to walk off into the sunset with her husband -- nothing in this movie ends the way Hollywood would want it to, which is one of the reasons I think it's absolutely brilliant."

No comments: