Thursday, November 27, 2008

Infinite memory

I read an interesting article tonight about a woman who has an infallible memory of events from her life. She remembers everything - every single little thing - that happened to her since the age of 15. A couple of interesting things from the article:
- she remembers events infallibly, but not facts. So she didn't do particularly good on memory tests and also she didn't shine in school. So that's kind of useless right?
- For her, the adage "time heals all wounds" doesn't apply as she remembers all bad events clearly.
"I don't look back at the past with any distance. It's more like experiencing everything over and over again, and those memories trigger exactly the same emotions in me. It's like an endless, chaotic film that can completely overpower me. And there's no stop button."

For someone who has a horrible memory of both events and facts, a perfect memory is very very desirable. And yet I am not sure if I could accept not being able to rely on time to heal some of my wounds. It's funny how the disadvantages of certain gifts are not always clear.

No comments: