Tuesday, November 25, 2008

billions and billions

Who would have thought Sagan's use of billions and billions would be so prophetic? This last week I have been watching CNN (yes I am in Calgary and thus have access to ... well, tens and tens of channels!) and the numbers that people are using are just so... well, large! 700 billion for this, 800 billion for that...

Speaking of big numbers, I was reading up on the googol, you know, as you would....
here is what wiki was saying:

"One googol is presumed to be greater than the number of elementary particles in the observable universe, which has been variously estimated from 1079 up to 1081. A googol is also greater than the number of Planck times elapsed since the Big Bang which is estimated at around 8 × 1060.

Since a googolplex is one followed by a googol zeroes, it would not be possible to write down or store a googolplex in decimal notation, even if all the matter in the known universe were converted into 0s. Indeed, if you had an unlimited supply of ink and paper, you would need around 1020 times the current age of the universe to fully write down a googolplex."

Pretty big. So, where was I? right. Don't you worry about the state of economy in US? I'm getting more and more worried. I wish I could bury my head in sand and wait until things become better. That works, no? :-P

3 comments:

styx said...

Yup the economy and job searching situation doesn't seem to be very good.

I was reading that even Google is firing engineers from their Googleplex headquarters.

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

Google Googol... Dilexia... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gillen xx said...

yeah I was wondering if the name Google is a play on googol. Which just quietly I had never heard of before reading this blog - so I learnt something today :)