Friday, December 05, 2008

My police hour

A couple of days ago I had an interesting run in with the police. I went to park my car near a shop when i noticed that a policeman on his bike was behind me. He wasn't flashing any lights but was obviously following me, so i started wondering how long he had been following me! I quickly parked the car and stayed in my seat wondering what I had done wrong - I wasn't driving fast, I had put my blinkers on when I had turned, I wasn't talking on the phone... what had I done? While I was waiting, he was standing behind the car, reading off the number plate and talking on his walkie-talkie. I wasn't sure if I should get out of the car or not... I'd heard all these stories and some of the cops I had seen in the US were so scary. I started to open the door slowly, giving him plenty of time to object, in case I wasn't following protocol.
Since he didn't say anything I got out and half frightened out of my skin, I approached the policeman. However, the guy was the nicest man ever. I was so nervous and he was all friendly with a big smile and very talkative. Seems my registration was overdue. He wrote me a ticket but I kept thanking him for not scaring me. I think I must have been very embarrassing and I don't get embarrassed that easily, so you can imagine...!!!
Afterward I just kept laughing at myself and what a fool I must have seemed to the guy!!

No comments: