Friday, November 10, 2006

The Year of the Woman

I heard something interesting on the radio this morning, related to the election. Of course let me first say how relieved I am by the result - My pessimism over world politics and the elected governments would have known no bounds if the democrats had not gained control of the house and the senate. Which reminds me, I will have to find out the difference betweent he house and the senate in US.

anyhoo. The result of the election also made this year, the Year of the Woman, because of the number of women that got voted in. We have the speaker of the house who it seems has had 4 or 5 children (good god!) and a number of other states where it is the first time that women have won for the first time in history. And why has that come about? This part is interesting. They said:

- Women are an antidote to corruption
- Women get things done


Do you find that interesting as well? Did Bush make such a mess of everything that the idea of the woman president is getting closer by the minute? It seems that Hilary Clinton who already had NY state cinched, still spent $30 million on her campaign, causing people to think she was in fact laying her foundation for her presidency campaign.

Somehow I don't think Americans will yet welcome women presidents.

\\----------------------//

Meanwhile you might be wondering why I haven't written in the past couple of weeks. Last week both Alvaro and my mum came to DC area for a conference. It was so much fun going to conference with both, Song was there as well. Anyway, would you say we are a recipe for family discount for the conference? :-) They both left last weekend, maman on friday and Alvaro on sunday, I mean monday! somebody missed their flight :-P but since back I have been busy with research and also an academic roundtable that is being held for ECE. Brinda, we miss you. I am helping Song get things done and actually we think it is going to be crowded. We got Baras and O'Shea and a bunch of other people interested and involved and ... well lets see what will happen. I am moderating the discussion with the help of Song. I don't know how i got involved. Song emailed me and said they wanted an ECEGSA outsider as the moderator and there i am. I ended up helping her alot more of course since i think our vision for the roundtable was more similar that her other helpers. The roundtable is today at 2-4pm. Wish me luck!! :-)

4 comments:

styx said...

How did the roundtable go?

and is the "women are the antidote to corruption" politically correct? I know it hurts men's feelings :-P but I remember a similar argument given by Gabo on why should a woman be Colombia's president: in short they are more responsible and more moral... supposedly... can that be true? %-)

jeerjeerak said...

Five! I saw her in a interview on tv and she was talking about her "mother of five" voice.

btw, can you turn off this word verification thing, it goes on my nerve! Plus, isn't it fun to delete wierd comments.

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

Women might get things done, doesn't mean they get them done right :P
But, whatever makes you sleep well at night

A Fly on the Wall said...

huh! but is it going to interfere with your sleep? :-P