Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Unknown

Do you ever feel like you are being pulled every which way and you are not sure what to do? Sometimes I feel like my life is defined by wanting to please the people around me so much that I don't have time to decide what I want. In the game of priorities, how do you decide what is more important? And once you have decided the order, how can you make sure that you don't satisfy just one, but maybe most of them. Can this even be done? Or once you have made your priorities, do you always have to sacrifice all others for one? and life is not really an independent process, rather made up of all the different people in my life and what if they don't agree with my order?
Today I felt like I was lost adrift on this ocean and I didn't know which way to go. Not that I need to make any decisions yet but I felt that the time for decisions is approaching. And I think the picture that is emerging is not like what I had in my head. I don't know what to do. Even when I say forget what i want and lets just go along with what others want as long as I am with them... well what if those things do not converge? and where am I in the middle of all this? Am I becoming someone who is going to live their lives thru others and then wake up when i am middle aged and think where did i go wrong, where is my own life? Why is it that I make the sacrifices?
I don't know what to do. This feeling is so depressing.

2 comments:

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

Your priority should be... ME :D

Anonymous said...

This is what I feel sometimes. The problem is that as you make more progress in life (which is a diplomatic way of saying getting older), your choices become more limited. I have asked many friends to order the following three (family, friends, and career). Almost everybody told me that family comes first, but to do that we have to succeed in our career. Actually this means they WANT (family, career, friends) but they actually do (career, family, friends). The "friends" priority needs more discussion. But the bottom line is, from my point of view, that we are indebted to our families, so family must come first. We try to work to make our families happy and proud. If we succeed in our career they will be proud, but if we are away from them, they will not be happy. A dilemma! I think I didn't give any response :(