Friday, March 09, 2007

An interesting stat

Today on NPR they mentioned the following interesting stat:

The top 3 countries with the highest number of journalists killed are:
1 - Russia
2 - Colombia
3 - Iran

We've all heard all these recent stories about the journalist killed in Russia and actually even outside of Russia by supposedly Putin's government. The most recent one was the guy who was supposedly investigating a supposed deal between Russia and Iran involving nuclear weapons.

According to Alvaro, in Colombia the majority of journalists are killed by the gorillas and the paramilitary.

And in Iran... well I don't think the concept of free press really exists.

But this is wierd - I checked out the following site that lists some more stats about the journalists killed in the last 10 years and they don't mention Iran... I wonder if I misheard and I heard Iraq instead of Iran....
They say the following about Colombia:
"No journalists were killed there in reprisal for their work during 2004, but Colombian journalists say this is because provincial reporters are simply too afraid to cover the ongoing civil conflict."

1 comment:

styx said...

ah! I didn't say anything, I do not know who kills our reporters! I don't want to die!