Monday, July 02, 2007

Day 4

This was the day of my talk - the night before it, although I had gotten home late about 11pm, I managed to go over my slides before making myself go to sleep at 1am and then i kept waking up in the middle of hte night, because i was so worried i was going to oversleep. My talk was straight after lunch so lets just say i didn't eat much lunch either. It went ok, not the greatest but ok. People asked lots of questions and I think did ok answering them. But I wasn't expecting much anyway. The worst part was when in the middle of the whole thing i forgot the word 'space' so after I said 'key' I paused and my mind was frantically trying to think of the word 'space' but I couldn't remember it and everyone was just looking at me and omg, probably thinking what an idiot!! I could see at least one person smiling at me, probably thinking poor girl!!
Afterwards I was so relieved my mind was numb. It is funny how I never realize how nervous i am until afterwards when the pressure is off. We had the conference dinner that night and then I went out with a bunch of people from ETH and another German named Leif and a Polish studying in the Netherlands named... damn!! I knew I was going to forget at least one name. That is why I am making myself write them down. In case I forget.
And I ended up talking to him a lot of the night as well. He was an interesting guy with lots of interesting commentary about Poland. Here are some of the funny things I learnt from him:
- The president and the prime minister of Poland are twins. Really?!! and they are ultra-conservative.
- They were trying to make Jesus Christ the king of Poland. It didn't work out though. I think what with him missing from the coronation and all...
Really are these things true? can somone check for me??!!!

- omg he asked me what the top two largest countries in Europe were and I said Ukraine and he said that was the second and France was the first. HUH!! According to the following Ukraine is bigger than France!!

No comments: