Sunday, July 01, 2007

Day 3

I left London for Cambridge. I got here (Cambridge) after a lot of hassle - I was worried about my adapter problems and so once i got to king's cross i decided to try to buy another adapter before i get to cambridge because who know how many shops are open in a small town - seriously i was walking around kings cross with all my baggage and then i found out the train to Cambridge didn't leave from there on sundays and i had to go to another station and..
anyway I finally caught the train which takes about 50 minutes to get to Cambridge - once i got there i caught a bus to the city center and walked to the place i was staying at - it was one of the colleges called the Sidney Sussex. I dropped all my baggage in my room, exhaled a sigh of relief because i actually had gotten there! Then the next worry was what time the conference people were meeting to go punting. I wanted to meet some of the people since i didn't know anyone and I also wanted to try punting actually :-) and I thought afterwards I will walk around the city of Cambridge. Oh my how glorious Cambridge is. I will get to it, but I loved it so much. It is wonderful and beautiful and ....
anyway so I went to the office to see if the conference had left any info about the punting at the Cannes river. I got to the office and I saw a bunch of people standing in front of the office - I thought can it be? can i be that much on time? Most of the people were Europeans who did not look that geeky so I wasn't sure if i was in the correct place - but then i saw one or two geeky looking people and they were mostly men so I thought can it be? so I made myself go and introduce myself. Now that was kind of scary!!
anyway so it was them and i joined them and we left for the punting expedition. I ended up getting into a punt, punted by Stajano himself! :-P on my boat there was an Austrian Rene, a German Christoph and a Japanese of the unknown name who worked under Prof. Imai. Our group was a lot of fun - and we all took turns at the punting. It is actually pretty hard trying to maneuver the thing, make it go in a straight line while you still have some speed. After the punting, we all went to dinner and some drinks. I met another German guy Ulrich with his Brazilian girlfriend Luciana who was studying in Germany. She was in EE and the paper being presented was a joint paper. ooh how romantic!! :-) It reminds me of my two lovely papers with dazbend!! seriously how geeky do i have to be to find this SO romantic!
Actually getting into this topic, dazbend and I had two papers together the year we got married. We made sure we were joined for prosperity!!!

No comments: