Sunday, December 09, 2007

Fuego Flamenco


Last night I attended a flamenco concert by Edwin Aparicio and his company in the Gala Hispanic Theater in DC and oh... my... bloody dios!!! It was such a fabulous concert and the dancers were so good and hot and the choreography was so wonderful. My heart was pounding as they were dancing and I was getting sweaty just watching them and I was smiling like a bloody fool, just happy to be watching them! I didnt know what to look at, the guitarists (there were two Richard Marlow and Behzad Habibzai, both from DC), the singers (Jesu's Montoya from LA and Fe'lix de Lola from Seville) or of course the dancers (Edwin and his company and 3 guest dancers: Norberto Chamizo, Timo Nun~ez and Genaveva). The video above is from the martinete in the opening number when Edwin was just doing some great footwork. It was amazing, at times Edwin's feet were going so fast it was like he was levitating!
Here are some of videos from some of the other dances by the company - i can't remember if the choreography was the same last night but at least the dresses were the same in two dances!


Below is a video of Timo Nun~ez that I found, performing at some other fiesta - the dancing realy gets going around the 5'30" mark.

I wanted to include it because he was a special dancer - you wouldn't believe the interaction he had with the crowd and how he flirted with the audience! His solo was more fun and cute, rather than heavy and dramatic, and my heart was pounding.
I wanted to find a video of the other wonderful male dancer Norberto but i couldn't. He was very good, very fast and pretty interactive - refined and well put.
Anyway it was a wonderful night. I loved everything - actually i love everything flamenco. I really feel it inside my me, in my heart and in my blood. I will have to continue my lessons when i go to CA. most definitely!

1 comment:

Miguelito said...

here's a link to the paula durbin's review of edwin aparicio's selected works.