Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Traditional Folk Songs

I heard this version of Sari Gelin a couple of years ago:
The info about the video says the following:
"Endless Vision (nominated for Grammy award 2007 for Best Traditional World Music Album in 2006), is a live recording with Hossein Alizadeh & Jivan Gasparyan on stage in the Niavaran Palace outdoor venue in Tehran (Sept.4-6, 2003) with more than 12,000 spectators. Songs in Azeri, Armenian, and Farsi; Afsaneh Rasaee's emotional singing stands out even though she can't sing solo on stage in a live performance in Iran. Jivan Gasparyan sings the Armenian lyrics with the calmness and assurance of a true master musician. The Farsi lyrics give the song a whole other dimension when they start."

The song is Turkish (or Armenian??) I believe and there are lots of the original version, such as this. Which of course are very beautiful and poignant. But the version of the video (and don't bother watching the video - just listen to the song) is really special - it has so many layers and levels. Then in the end when they sing the song in Farsi, I can actually understand what the song is about. Anyway I am glad they are nominated for a grammy - i should try to get my hand on the cd.
Darn I couldn't find the english translated lyrics anywhere! :-( where is a turkish/armenian person when you need them! ^.^ oh I know the one... ok I will have to contact my contact! :-)

This is also a very nice traditional Kurdish song. I wish i new what she is singing about...

4 comments:

jeerjeerak said...

well my 1/4 kurdish blood isn't of any help in the translation:)))

also the first youtube video doen't open, at least right at this moment. But i do remember i've heard this song with farsi lyrics before.

A Fly on the Wall said...

:-))
really the sari gelin you tube video is not starting?? this is weird!
I was just listening to the cd Endless Vision, and it is very good!! I really recommend it.

btw i have a kurdish name.. would tat help? :-P

A Fly on the Wall said...

ok this is weird - they've taken down the video :-( I can't find their song anywhere on the web.
The only thing I can refer to is the sample that Amazon has on their website:
http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Vision-Hossein-Alizadeh/dp/B000BZ881W

But if you want to listen to it, contact me :-)

jeerjeerak said...

here's the farsi lyrics. actually bilingual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hQtH6RzgmU