Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Politic Hour

It is seriously unfair that in 2004 the Democrats had such douche bags for candidates and this year we have both Obama and Hillary and only one will win.

The Underdog
The power of the underdog for me is amazing. I want (mostly) who is not winning. I think I like Obama better (I say i think, because the feminist in me wants to welcome a woman president but then the idealist in me likes Obama better). But since Obama's rocket of a campaign (it has been pretty much going up, up and beyond), and the total obsession with Obama around me, I seem to always be defending Hillary. And not because i like her and want her to win (I am undecided like the other aspects of my life!). Only because she is turning out in some ways to be the underdog of the story. Which is kind of weird.
Who do you think will get the nomination in the end? My friend RSN, who is an Obama fan, thinks Hillary will win in the end, because people in general tend to make more conservative choices.

The Beachboy
McCain has won the republican nomination. People, even on the left, seem to generally like him. But do we like him simply because he is not as bad as the other candidates? He is still pretty bad!! True it is more likely that he will unite the republicans and the democrats, and yes it is true that he is not a fan of torture.... but his foreign policies are still not good. He wants to go to war with Iran... wasn't he the one that sang "bomb, bomb, bomb, iran" to the tune of the Beach Boys? He has always supported the war in iraq. I think the scary thing is that he has certain good characteristics so he is more likely to get elected in current america than the other republican candidates. The other candidates had no chance. This is not good.

8 comments:

jeerjeerak said...

"underdog",. yes. thanks for the word. it explains me too. i'm switching back and forth between Obama and Clinton depending on who's losing:)))

styx said...

What do you mean things are not good... thanks god crazy people like Mitt Romney are not being nominated...

On the other question, I hope Hillary wins :-) (Maybe its the underdog also in me... but partly I think she will support Colombia better than Obama)!!

I have spent all morning catching up with all the news from Colombia.

There are so many things going on. From eternal questions such as "does the end justify the means" --typically the way "good" people are turned "bad"... (i.e., killing is always bad, no matter what the purpose is) to very practical things such as the support of the big opposition party to Uribe... to the recent Organization of American States pronunciation that they will not sanction Colombia.

If Venezuela and Ecuador want to defend their sovereignty so highly... why haven't they taken the same actions when the FARC enters their countries and performed military operations.

Anyways, these things are very confusing!!

A Fly on the Wall said...

Very interestnig that the same underdog phenomenon seems to be happening ot others as well...

Also ..
I would like to make a request to Styx or Valardur - Can you write a blog post about what is going on over in Colombia?
gracias!!

A Fly on the Wall said...

oh the other thing,

Styx - I think in a way it would have been better if Romney had won the the nominations - because then I think the chances of him winning nationally would have been less than McCain. I think that is what's scary about JM - his more logical mumbo jumbo.

styx said...

I don't think it would have been good if any other republican won... I think it is better to be "safer" with McCain than to risk another disaster.

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

Ron Paul?

Hmm weird, I'm actually going for Obama.
Why?
Few shots of what I seen from Hillary she seems more enthusiastic on attacking Obama rather than pointing what good can she do?
And will she really help Colombia?
I know that her hubbie likes Cartagena and sometimes he seems geniously interested on Colombia. But then again during the whole "free trade" pact we were gonna have with US, nothing happen. I never saw any US diplomat trying to actually help it push forward even if Colombia had already given up on several issues.
And Hillary did approved the war on Iraq.

So go for Obama, sadly as much of the recent elections anywhere in this world, because seems the least worst choice :D

styx said...

Well, I don't know about Hillary, but I know Obama is not supporting the trade pact with Colombia! (I read this in Eltiempo) Besides, Bill Clinton was good with Colombia, so I am hoping his wife might also have some sympathies towards us
:-P

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

Say wha??
Ok screw them both then.

Anyone knows how McCain feels about Colombia?

Also for the Colombia - Ecuador conflict I think Stynky should handle that post.