Monday, April 30, 2007

Meaning of Gadfly

I found something very interesting - why I didn't know about it before, I don't know. And it makes so much more sense esp with respect to my favorite book: The Gadfly by E.L.Voynich. Anyway Wiki defines Gadfly as:

"Gadfly" is a term for people who upset the status quo by posing upsetting or novel questions, or attempt to stimulate innovation by proving an irritant.

The term "gadfly" was used by Plato to describe Socrates' relationship of uncomfortable goad to the Athenian politician scene, which he compared to a slow and dimwitted horse. It was used earlier by the prophet Jeremiah in chapter 46 of his book. The term has been used to describe many politicians and social commentators.

During his defense when on trial for his life, Socrates, according to Plato's writings, pointed out that dissent, like the tiny (relative to the size of a horse) gadfly, was easy to swat, but the cost to society of silencing individuals who were irritating could be very high. "If you kill a man like me, you will injure yourselves more than you will injure me," because his role was that of a gadfly, "to sting people and whip them into a fury, all in the service of truth."

I think it is also a very appropriate name for a blog. Damn I surprise myself!! :-P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that the name Gadphly is spot on for your blog - you often address some interesting points in your blog that get me thinking! Plus the "annoying" description is spot on too ;P (hmmmm...hope the sarcasm in that last comment isn't lost in the written form...)

styx said...

I thought the title of the blog was fly on wall :-P

jeerjeerak said...

To styx:
Well, technicaly, gadfly is a kind of fly, and it technicaly can be on a wall!

A Fly on the Wall said...

oopse my bad - i meant email not blog!!
But the blog name is related no? :-)

and I love how my oldest friends are the nicest :-P they know me best!!