Monday, May 07, 2007

Yann Martel

On my last visit to the library, I saw Life of Pi by Yann Martel on the bookshelves. I picked it up and sat down and reread the last 40 pages of the story - it is such a wonderful book and all the emotions that I went through went I first read it came upon me again. It was so sad and so hopeful and so.. I am not sure. Last time I had decided i would believe the story of the animals but this time, I don't why but I believed the story of the humans. Does that say something about my frame of mind?

I went in search of other books by Martel and I found a collection of 4 short stories entitled The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios, which is actually the name of the first novella. I read that story on the plane on Friday and it is another extremely well written, emotional and insightful story. There were a couple of passages which really hit home for me, some expressions which were beautiful to read.

The story is told by a young man in college, whose friend is diagnosed with AIDS. The story describes the last few months of the friend's life that the story teller shares.
Here are some passages from the book which I loved:

"He puffs out his story weakly. I feel each breath against my cheek. I have so much energy compared to him, so much good health. It feels arrogant. To atone, I do the equivalent of what people are very tall do: I go about with stooped health."

Another passage describes the act of walking a dog as "giving purpose to aimlessness".

Finally, the last is a long passage which I will write later. It is long and I feel offers so much insight and reflects my feelings. It is interesting that Yann Martel has only three books out. I would really like to read more of his stuff. If you read his bio as well, he seems like a very interesting and well traveled man - he has even been to Iran!! Anyway I really recommend everyone to read his books :-)

No comments: