Wednesday, June 27, 2007

watermelons

I found the following info VERY useful:
here is what you should watch for to get a sweet watermelon.
- Tap the watermelon with your knuckles and listen for a hollow sound
- There should be little color contrast between the green stripes
- The end should be going from white to light yellow
- Press your thumbs into the skin from all angles. It should be hard all around.
- the stem should still be green. If it's brown and withered, that thing's been off the vine too long

I eat SO much watermelon in summer - they are my absolute favourite fruit - EVER. :-) so sweet and red. I love the seeds. I don't know why they keep producing the seedless kind - that's like nature all messed up. How are we going to have watermelon plants if they don't have seeds? and I am still waiting for the plants to grow inside my stomach!! :-P

Speaking of reproduction, can you imagine birds doing it? It boggles the mind. But they must right. Wouldn't the tail of a bird get in the way?! :-P I am really confused!!!
See what amazing things are in my head?!!

3 comments:

styx said...

What's with the colors?

Also, it proves you never had a hen and a rooster --or parakeets-- as pets when you were a kid... and you get to know what it means for the rooster to "step" on the hen :-P.

A Fly on the Wall said...

What colors? the font color? well i change colors if i want to emphasise something or if i am quoting someone.

jeerjeerak said...

Educating post, thanks. Whne I buy watermelon, I usually go for the absolute biggest one in the bin! Another thing: did you know that in iran they sell watermelons by weight? I was very surprised when I came to US and saw that it is priced by number here.