Thursday, October 05, 2006

Do you believe in Fate?

I was reading this book and one of the characters was asked if they believe in fate.
This was her answer:

"I do believe in coincidences," she said. "I believe that some unexpected things happen to catch our attention, and that what we do with those moments might affect or change the whole course of our life. but I do not believe we are blown about helplessly by a fate over which we have no control. There would be no point in free will if that were so. We all have the power to decide, to say yes or no, to do something or not to do it, to go in this direction or that."

Do I believe in fate? i don't think so because believing fate reduces to believing in a god and a grand plan that we are involved in. (or does it?)

No I don't think fate exists. It is always easier to have someone else be responsible for our decisions so that's why fate has come in. Perhaps that is why religion has come in because we want to put the responsibility of this world onto someone or something else.

Or maybe again we are trying to grandize ourselves by thinking we are important enough to be involved in a plan? no that is a pessemistic view: Depending on our point of reference, we are grand enough. Why is it that we try to find a global point of reference?
In physics, do we have a global frame of reference? I don't think so, but i can't remember for sure. There is light which is always constant. Do we have something which is always constant in our lives? truth is always subjective right?

5 comments:

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

I'm divided on this one.
I do like to believe that I myself, drive forward my life. Meaning I don't like to think everything is allready set for whatever I'm going to do.

However, I always like that view of reducing all laws of nature to some equation or rules. And as such I wonder.

If I knew exactly what happen since the big bang and forward, would I be able to calculate everything, EVERYTHING that came next? In that way, saying there is a destiny, Look at it, I had arrived to the result that today you were posting this blog. (A little too weird? Perhaps)

A Fly on the Wall said...

But then what are the things subject to the laws of nature? Do laws govern even the minute? I mean, if we get low resolution enough, don't we have uncertain behavior? would that also apply to this equation?

anyway so assuming you want to believe in this equation of the world, what do you think that implies about the world, god, etc?

JuanMa/Juanito said...

He is on hell of a mathemathician :D

styx said...

I believe you are referring to Laplace's Demon

JuanMa/Juanito said...

Yes !!!